The Research Data Browser (RDB) is a point-and-click browsing tool that allows researchers to explore UCSF patient records de-identified from APeX. The RDB is available to the UCSF research community at no charge.
USE THE RDB TO
- Identify potential subjects for studies to demonstrate feasibility
- Search de-identified patient clinical records, slice the resulting set by a
range of parameters
- Create cohorts for observational studies, particularly comparative
effectiveness and quality improvement studies
- Export summary or detailed data to Excel or CSV files; including patient
demographics, encounters, diagnosis, medications, labs, procedures, and more
Note: the RDB replaces the Cohort Selection Tool which is no longer supported.
First time users:
- Open the Research Data Tools Request Form.
- Select Research Data Tools Request
- Under the heading "Data Tools" check Research Data Browser Dashboard and Flat Files.
- Enter all other required fields and click the "Order Now" button to submit your request.
- You must have a current Statement of Liability attestation form on file. If you do not have a current attestation form on file, you will be sent a copy of the form to sign via DocuSign.
The Research Data Browser can be accessed from any web browser. Log in in using your Campus, Med Center, or SOM credentials.
Please note some users might experience slow performance when using the RDB prior to 10am due to the data loading process.
DE-IDENTIFIED EXPORT AND FLOWSHEET FLAT FILES
The set of Research Data Browser export files contain a complete export of the data set displayed in the Research Data Browser, while the flowsheet flat files contain a copy of the de-identified APeX flowsheet data set. These flat files will be refreshed on a monthly basis. Click here to learn more.
For help with questions or support issues:
- Submit a help ticket at help.ucsf.edu
- Call the UCSF ITS Service Desk at 415-514-4100
- Support services for the RDB are available Monday through Friday between the hours of 8 AM and 5 PM.