The De-Identified Clinical Data Warehouse (De-ID CDW) is a de-identified database copy of high-value EHR data. Therefore, this data is not subject to HIPAA restrictions on research use, and would not require IRB approval or an honest broker intermediary. The De-ID CDW system accelerates the research process by permitting UCSF investigators to locate research data and encourage an exploratory approach to hypothesis generation. The De-ID CDW is available to the UCSF research community at no charge.
USE THE De-ID CDW TO
- Identify potential subjects for studies to demonstrate feasibility
- Search de-identified patient clinical records
- Create cohorts for observational studies, particularly comparative
effectiveness and quality improvement studies
- Extract data using standard SQL tools
First time users:
- Open the Research Data Tools Request Form.
- Select Research Data Tools Request.
- Locate the heading "Data Tools" check De-Identified CDW.
- Enter all other required fields and click the "Order Now" button to submit your request.
- You must have a current Statement of Liability attestation form on file. If you do not have a current attestation form on file, you will be sent a copy of the form to sign via DocuSign.
The De-Identified Clinica Data Warehouse is accessible from UCSF networks using standard Microsoft SQL tools. Log in using your Campus, Med Center, or SOM credentials.
DE-IDENTIFIED FLAT FILES
The set of De-Identified Clinical Data Warehouse export files contain a complete export of the database. These flat files will be refreshed on a monthly basis.
ACCESSING THE FLAT FILES FROM YOUR LOCAL MACHINE
- On your local machine, open Windows Explorer.
- Map a folder to
For help with questions or support issues:
- Submit a help ticket at help.ucsf.edu
- Call the UCSF ITS Service Desk at 415-514-4100
- Support services for the De-ID CDW are available Monday through Friday between the hours of 8 AM and 5 PM.